Tuesday, June 3, 2008

For Julia...

Hi,

It was so difficult for me on Sunday to put on my happy face and go with my family to see Thomas the Tank Engine. My mind was on several things including Julia, John and everyone else touched by her. Since then, my thoughts are with all of you who are grieving her loss. Besides the
online candles for Julia what else could I do. She had a way with her words that I couldn't think I can accomplish. Most days that I'm am writing and not writing on behalf of my kids, I'm speaking from my heart. Julia seemed to speak from her heart with every posting she did.

Her one from May 9th posting entitled "Simply Not Done" speaks volumes. I couldn't write her back...I couldn't see through my tears each time I opened up that particular one. I still can't. Nothing came to my mind when I did try...I hate the way this last chapter ended, Julia and John. Just hate it.

I wished that I could have been eloquent and said something. I don't know if my posts are so eloquent as Margie's Post on Julia and all of the other posts about her that Margie wrote. Judy wrote about the grief as well. It made me think about my losses of loved ones and the losses that my kids, their First Mom, and their Foster Families experienced and still experience. It's well written and you should read it. And reading John's post and this one from John as well is just heart breaking. Be prepared with the tissues for all of them.

If you haven't read Julia's blog read it from the earliest days to now...you'll learn alot from this woman. I know that reading her blog affected me just like going to Korea did in November.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know that I've posted about this before but I have to post it again...my labor of love for you, Julia, and all who loved her so much:


If you are not a bone marrow donor please consider doing this.

Read up how the bone marrow donation and Myths and Facts about Bone Marrow Donation is done.

Also head to National Marrow Donor Program Medical Guidelines for the requirements.

Also Race and Ethnicity matter when it comes to donating.

Head to Asians for Miracle Marrow Matches, Asian American Donor Program, Asian and Pacific Islanders Can Save Lives brochure in Korean, and Korean Focus Info on Bone Marrow Donation to learn how you can help.

I learned that 3% of Asian Americans are registered

I learned more that there is a 35-45% of match if your ethnic minority but nearly 85% if you're Caucasian and that is due to more Caucasians being on the donor registry than the ethnic minorities.

I also learned that of the 6.5 million registered bone marrow donors only 50,000 are Korean.


Can you help these people? They need a bone marrow transplant:

Omar

Project Michelle

Theo, a KAD

Pastor Paul Kwon's Story

And that is just the Asians that I know about...how many others are there??


Do you remember reading about these people?

Brian Bauman's Story

Korean Actress Choi Kang-hee's Donation Story.

and that is just a small sampling of what I found.



Julia and John, I did this for you and all of the other Korean adoptees out there. John, it may not be much but it's my gift. I hope that this post inspires others to register to be a bone marrow done and accept when they are called as a match. Please feel free to pass this along to others. And please please please donate since you never know whose life you might be saving. If you aren't in the minority, please consider honoring your children by getting the word out about bone marrow registration, giving money to pay for the testing, volunteering at a bone marrow drive, and more.

~Jen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:
I read about Julia and my heart goes out to her and John. Jennifer keep up the good work that you are doing for all Koreans and especially Korean adoptees. I love my grandchildren and can't imagine not having them around. I pray to God that all Asians read this and can donate. There is such a need for bone marrow donations. If they can't donate, then at least pray, especially for Julia and John but not only for them but for then all Asians. Their donation may be saving their own child or sibling.

Peace and God Bless,

Jennifer's Mom and grandmother of the greatest grandchildren in the world.