Sunday, November 18, 2007

Today's Outings and Thoughts about Korea

Annyong Haseyo!!!

We visited a palace this morning in the brutally cold weather. The one we visited was Gyeongbokgung Palace (the Palace of Shining Happiness). The place was absolutely beautiful and breath taking. We got to see the changing of the guard when we arrived. What perfect timing!!! It was 6,000 Won (the currency of Korea to get in). I took video of the changing of the guard ceremony and many still shots.

After that we went to Jogyesa Buddhist Temple which is close by. It is very peaceful here. We saw a Buddhist monk outside with no hat, gloves, coat or scarf on. Wow!!! After the emotions that we have been dealing with this week, we needed something so peaceful.

It's hard to believe that our stay here is almost done. We have one more full day left and then after that it's a partial day on Tuesday before our 6:30 PM flight out of Incheon Airport.

Part of my heart will always be here in Korea with my children's foster moms and their families, with their birthmom, and in the place my children were born. I know that all be coming back to Korea with my children to visit their homeland with them and show them the sights, sounds and smells of Korea that we have seen, heard, and smelled ourselves with this trip.

I hope that those of you reading this can make sense of what I'm saying in my blog here and can picture some of the sights we've seen. This country (what little we've seen of it) is amazing, the people are amazing.

For the first time in my entire life, I am the outsider, I am the minority. I needed to experience that. Going to KAAN earlier this summer helped me to decide about traveling here to this country. I needed the connection to my children's birthplace. I needed to see for myself what life is like here. I needed to spend some time here (as much as finances and my Mom and Dad would allow since they are watching our other two kids).

From what I've seen of this country, it's my 2nd homeland. So if you visit my home, please consider it to be a Korean home and take off your shoes at my door. And perhaps I'll even greet you with an 'Annyong Haseyo' as well.

Jen reporting Live from Seoul, South Korea

1 comment:

anitadoll said...

My goodness, you are a busy beaver, I guess I would be trying to do everything I could in the time allowed as well. Love hearing about your adventure. Oh, and by the way, it IS snowing here, lol. Can't wait for you to get back to hear more. Have a safe trip on Tuesday, I will be waiting for another update.
Love,
Anita