Monday, January 19, 2009

MLK Day and Insights from My Oldest Two Kids

Today is the celebration of a man who was shot so many years ago due to beliefs that he had. He had hope for this country that people would live in harmony and equality and that hope that he started so many years ago still lives to this day. He hoped that a black man and a white man could be like brothers without prejudices, without stereotypes, and with love. He truly believed in the phrase that all men are created equal as stated in the Declaration of Independence signed by our forefathers in 1776. His dream lives on today.

I told my kids in simplest of terms for a 4 and 3 year old to understand about a man who stood up to the mean people during his time, who talked to many different people, and changed the country forever. I told my kids that Dr. King wasn't mean back to the mean people but instead did peaceful things to start change. I told them that he was kind even when people were mean to him.

I told them that even though they are different from each other (Ryan being a boy versus the two girls, each of them having different learning abilities and more), they are human and human beings should be nice to each other and be helpful to one another. I then explained that even though they are different than me, we still need to be nice to one another, treat each other as we want to be treated, and do and say kind things to one another. My kids agreed.

During lunch time, Ryan mentions that he doesn't like The Mean People. I asked him what mean people. He responds the people that were mean to the King (Dr. King). He thinks that people shouldn't be mean to each other and should be nice and helpful. He doesn't understand why people are mean to each other...he wants people to get along with one another and help each other. I told him "so do I sweetheart, so do I".

I talked to Ryan and Katie about President-elect Obama with his swearing in ceremony tomorrow in Washington DC. Ryan and Katie want to watch an African-American man become President for the first time in US history.

Tomorrow our TV will be tuned into the the events in Washington DC and hopefully my children will get something out of the events.

~Jen

No comments: