Ryan went out to lunch today and met several people in our neighborhood (sorry I have Sesame Street's song running through my head right now).
First he met 2 Police Officers while we were eating lunch. Here's the conversation between Ryan and I:
myself: Do you want to go say hi?
Ryan: (incredulous that I would even ask a question) What????
myself: Do you want to go say hi to the police officers sitting over there?
Ryan: No (attitude was "no way mom what are you thinking??")
Later on during lunch Ryan is still staring at the officers. I have another conversation with him.
Ryan: are they eating lunch??? (incredulous that this would happen)
myself: yes they eat lunch...they are people just like me or you
Ryan: (still staring)
myself: Ryan, let's go say hi to the police officers, okay?
Ryan: okay (but scared to walk over there so I picked him up)
His conversation with the officers:
myself: Hi...I'm sorry since I know that you guys are eating lunch but my son wanted to say hi to you.
Officer Dave: oh no problem
Ryan: (dead silence and staring)
Officer Dave: so what's your name?
Ryan: (more dead silence and staring)
myself: his name is Ryan
Officer Mike: Hi Ryan. I'm Mike and that's Dave
myself: Ryan, you going to say hello?
Ryan: (dead silence and still staring)
Officer Mike: see Dave, I told you not to scare off the little kids
Officer Dave: we like to talk to the good little boys so be good, okay?
Ryan: (dead silence no head movement and he's still staring)
Officer Mike: (laughs a little since his partner scared Ryan)
myself: Ryan was surprised to see you guys eating lunch
Officer Mike: yeah we get to grab a bite to eat when we can
Ryan: (still staring at the officers)
myself: (slightly embarrassed with the conversation and lack thereof by Ryan) Thank you so much for talking with my son.
We walk back to the table and I have another conversation with Ryan:
Ryan: (after we get to the table) I talked with a police officer
myself: (thinking the following but didn't respond to him about it) YOU??? YOU talked with the police officers???
~Jen
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment