I was alerted by this from a friend of mine, Jennifer Hilzinger. She recently posted this to KAAN's facebook page and is allowing me to share. Since then, I found a news article on it on CNN's website. These students did an amazing thing in my opinion. They put in pictures and words what I had been saying and thinking...it's awful to consider a traditional cultural attire as a Halloween costume or to stereotype an ethnic group as well.
A question came up on a Facebook page that I like if we are dressing our children in their Hanboks for Halloween. WHAT ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? My children's precious hanboks would be used for them to parade around our neighborhood in to trick or treat???? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!! Hanboks were something that they wore as regular clothes each and every day and now are worn mainly on special occasions. To say that they can go trick or treating in is like saying that I don't care about Korea, my friends who are Korean, and my children and their Korean ancestors. Halloween is certainly NOT a special day to wear one. I posted back that I wouldn't be doing this and why.
On another Facebook page, the business was selling dress up Hanboks like a child would dress up in a surgeon's outfit or as a knight or as a construction worker. I read the comments on there and one woman who was going to buy it had reconsidered due to the comments made on the other page.
Please consider how you are treating the other ethnic groups when you dress up in their traditional attire that they would consider to be their heritage this Halloween season and always.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment