Monday, January 17, 2011

On MLK

Today on the celebration of MLK Jr.'s life, I celebrate the differences between my Polish, German and other ancestry and my children's Korean ancestry. I celebrate the wide range of music that I have exposed myself to by my own choice (classical, church hymns in Latin, German, and English languages, some Polish music, some JPop, some KPop and traditional Korean music, some American Top 40 music, some French Top 40 music, and more). I celebrate the differences between others and take it to be a stepping stone to learn more about each other.

The best time I had in school was on a bus trip to Montreal with a bunch of foreign exchange students from Central and South America and Europe and our discussions of the things that made us different but the things that made us alike as well (kids listening to music and dancing, doing school work, etc).

So I hope today that you celebrate the life of MLK, Jr. by dedicating your time as a Day of Service to help others but also celebrate the differences between you and other people around you and learn something not only about other people but maybe even yourself as well.

No comments: